Gaining extra warmth and brightness, renewable energy and closeness to nature, whilst enhancing the views to the Cairngorm Mountains, were top of our eco-friendly upgrade plans. We realised that holidays are about much more than just having a few days off, and that many people come to the Highlands to get away from it all, immerse themselves in the natural world and leave with a sense of wellbeing! We think we have thought of most things to turn your next Highland trip into an experience that will live long in the memory.
Cottage Features + Highlights:
- Fully renovated + upgraded recently to modern high-spec
- Bright, open-plan sitting room and dining area, fully-glazed south-facing
- High-spec kitchen, including washing machine and dishwasher (A+++)
- Living space opening to balcony deck area with views to the Cairngorms
- Large child-friendly, enclosed “wild” garden
- Short walk along Speyside Way or forest paths to all village amenities
- Bike shelter with secure locking facility
- Wood burning stove (local logs fully supplied)
- Sunpipes enhance light, bright, spacious feel
- Heat, power and log usage included in rental
- Free Wi-Fi broadband (unlimited BT infinity)
- Smart TV (including Fire Stick access to internet, movies, catch-up TV, etc.)
- Hi-Fi with DAB, USB, CD and Bluetooth (listen to your own music!)
- Small lawn (with balls, badminton / volleyball net + other equipment)
- Charcoal BBQ
- Direct access to woodland, wildlife, Loch Vaa and River Spey walks
- Sledges provided for winter action
- Speyside Way runs along the bottom of the garden
- Strathspey Railway steam trains pass within view
- Travel cot and highchair (please request at booking)
- Bicycle hire available in the village (Ride Cairngorm)
- Gold Award winning Green Tourism features
We have taken the opportunity to build in efficiency, renewable energy and other sustainability measures; some of these, like added daylight brightness using sunpipes, enhance the experience any time of year – brightening even the dullest winter day! And we make sure you have all the information available to fully enjoy the beauty of the local area, surrounding highlights in the National Park and the wide range of activities.
Accessibility + Allergy
We were unable to build in all features that would have delivered 100% accessibility for a number of reasons. Unfortunately, some access challenges were simply associated with the building being an older cottage situated at the top of a very steep hill. But, in the spirit of “Accessible Tourism“, we have provided the information to allow you to make the choice whether the cottage is accessible / suitable for your needs – see our Accessibility Guide covering wheelchair access, visual and allergy information.
Availability of Foods for Special Dietary Requirements
The Boat of Garten Village Shop stocks vegetarian and vegan protein options. For those with food allergies and/or sensitivities, or cultural requirements, Tesco in Aviemore stocks some of its “free from” and “world” food ranges, including limited halal and kosher products, in addition to its usual foodstuffs.
We don’t currently allow pets at the cottage, except Assistance Dogs. This is partly due to concerns about the local wildlife, and the Capercaillie Special Protected Area in the forest to the rear of the cottage. Partly also to ensure that the wild garden remains child-friendly.
Further detail on what to expect at the Cottage can be found here in our Covid Guide and general Guest Welcome Guide.