(Photos Courtesy of Jakub Iwanicki)
Accessed from the front gate (cottage garden opens onto the Speyside Way!), there are literally hundreds of potential on and off-road routes to ride for cycling enthusiasts, young and old.
Boat of Garten and the cottage itself are ideally located for cycling, with bike rental available in the village (Ride Cairngorms). So, we have ensured all facilities, from secure bike shelter to clothes washing / drying, are available to allow cyclists the maximum enjoyment!
The huge variety of routes range from the short and easy – eg.:
- Loch Garten / Mallachie
- Speyside Way to Nethy Bridge or Aviemore (with steam train option for those just wanting to go one way!)
To the lengthy and challenging – eg.:
- National Cycle Route 7 [passes within 1 mile]
- “Snow Roads”
- Abernethy Forest into the heart of the Cairngorm Mountains, etc., etc.
There are really too many to list here, but plenty of sources to help you find YOUR cycle adventure! Try starting with the Visit Cairngorms website information and various links.
As keen cyclists ourselves, we would like to encourage others to enjoy the perfect base for both serious cycling and learning (some of the safest traffic-free routes you will find in Scotland). So, we have provided all the information and done everything possible to make it easy to enjoy this cycling haven. A few things that might help, include:
- Main national rail network to Aviemore and local Stagecoach bus services (eg. Aviemore to Boat of Garten) allow carriage of bicycles
- Cycle rental, repair and advice shop, Ride Cairngorms, located in the village with a huge range of advice and bikes (including E-bikes)
- Maps, reference, WiFi accessible WWW information all available at the cottage (OS Grid Ref: NH93791812, Poscode: PH24 3BP)
- New purpose-built cycle store with security and shelter from the elements
- New washing machine (with provided eco/allergy-friendly wash powder)
- Outdoor clothes hanging line (for warmer weather!) and a large indoor clothes drying rack which will dry cycle clothing overnight
- Both restaurants in the village serve meals until later in the day (for those who might return later after riding some of the more challenging routes)
- Local shop / Post Office is open very early, does great filled rolls, sandwiches, pastries, etc. for your ride, so you can hit the track early!